Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Problem With "Passing"

Alright, there is somewhat of a controversy over the word "passing" when refering to trans people. Some feel like it implies that we are trying to "pass" as something we are not. These people that oppose the word prefer the word "presenting." They feel it is more appropriate.

Honestly, I think this is just stupid. "Passing" is a term that has been used for a long time and I think it still works well. I take it as you are able to "pass" society's standards for what a male/female is. If society can see you as what you want it to, it's like you "passed" a test. I just think it makes sense and is easy.

I don't quite understand "presenting." I get that it's like you're "presenting" yourself as male/female, but how is that any better than "passing?" I just think it is a stupid change that doesn't really make anything better. But that's just my opinion.

Feel free to email me your opinions. I would love to get your opinions on the issue so I could post what you feel too. Or if you feel I left something out, I'd love to know. You will, of course, be credited with whatever you share with me.

So please let me know.
TheAidenApocalypse@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment